The Russian defence ministry (building pictured) on Friday presented evidence on how the ‘chemical attack’ on Douma in Syria on April 7 was staged by Britain with the help of a volunteer organisation and some local players to misguide the world and prod the US to launch missile strikes against Syria.
Between April 3 and April 6, Britain pressured representatives of the White Helmets in Douma to speed up the provocation, said Major-General Igor Konashenkov, Russian defence ministry spokesman.
To find out who hatched the plan to fake the chemical attacks and film them, military officials later interviewed the very people who appeared on the fake video circulated worldwide. They told them how the Syrian army was provoked to launch a strike on April 7, how the episodes were filmed and what roles locals were instructed to play.
Two medics working in the emergency wing of the lone hospital in Douma said there were no symptoms of chemical poisoning in the locals who were initially brought in. But they suffered breathing problems due to inhalation of smoke.
While the medics were attending their cases, unknown people ran into the hospital, some yielding video cameras. They started screaming and panicking. Someone kept shouting that they had been hit by toxic agents. Immediately, people started dousing each other with water and treating children, the medics said, adding it was all well-scripted. After the filming of various acts, they faded out.
Britain’s UN Ambassador Karen Pierce described the Russian ministry’s claim as “grotesque,” “a blatant lie” and “the worst piece of fake news we’ve yet seen from the Russian propaganda machine.”
Russia and Syria are pinning their hopes on inspectors of Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical
Weapons (OPCW) who are due to arrive for investigate whether chemical agents were used in attacks on Douma.
With the cessation of hostilities and Syrian flag raised in Douma, as many as 63,000 people have returned, Konashenkov said .