Six to ten Pakistani soldiers and as many terrorists were killed overnight Saturday as Indian forces entered Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and destroyed military posts and three camps of terrorists who had been making attempts to cross the line of control to stage attacks, agencies say citing Indian Army chief Bipin Rawat.
On Saturday evening, Pakistani forces tried to push terrorists into Tangdhar sector in Kupwara, Jammu and Kashmir, by providing gunfire as cover.
Two Indian soldiers and a civilian were killed in Pakistan’s unprovoked firing.
The Indian army had the coordinates of terror camps operating across the border and, in a counter-offensive, they targeted them using artillery guns, Rawat said.
Three terror camps in Neelam valley opposite Tangdharwere completely destroyed, he said.
According to Rawat, Pakistan had been attempting to push in terrorists after India scrapped the special status to Jammu and Kashmir in early August this year.
He said Indian Army retains the right to respond at a time and place of its choosing if Pakistani forces continue to help terrorists in sneaking into India.
On Sunday, he kept updating Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the situation along the line of control. Singh is seriously viewing Pakistan’s 2,000-odd ceasefire violations until September this year.
India’s offensive on Saturday was not of the same scale as its airstrikes on a Jaish-e-Mohammed terror training camp in Pakistan’s Balakot after a suicide bomber of the group killed 44 Central Reserve Police Force personnel in Pulwama district, Jammu and Kashmir, early this year.
Saturday’s attack is also not comparable to Indian forces’ surgical strikes on terror launch pads across the Line of Control in 2016.
However, Saturday’s counter-offensive gave a clear message that Pakistan will suffer heavily if it attempts to disturb the peace and harmony prevailing in Jammu and Kashmir after its special status was removed.
In the meantime, Pakistan army said nine Indian soldiers were killed in cross-border firing in Tangdhar.
Indian army rejected the claim.
A Pakistan military spokesman said they lost only one soldier and three civilians in the exchange of fire in Tangdhar. Pakistan media remained silent on India’s artillery gun strikes on terror camps in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
Islamabad summoned Indian Charge d’ Affaires Gaurav Ahluwalia to its foreign office on Sunday and condemned “the unprovoked ceasefire violations by the Indian occupation forces along the LoC in Jura, Shahkot and Nausehri Sectors.”