Mexico says there was no deal on migrants with US

Mexico’s future government denied any deal with the US on asylum seekers at border after a report, citing its incoming interior minister, mentioned it.

The Washington Post, quoting Olga Sánchez Cordero, reported on Saturday that the future Mexican government led by president-elect, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, has virtually approved a short-term plan that will allow asylum seekers to remain in Mexico while their claims are heard in the US.

A statement by Sánchez’s office said the future government has no plans to declare Mexico a safe third country for Central American migrants or migrants from other countries who find themselves in its territory.

However, the future government will take care of the well-being of migrants while they are in Mexico, it added.

Sanchez did not explain why The Post had quoted her in its report to confirm the deal.

López’s government will be sworn in on Dec 1.

Some 5,000 migrants from Central America are in the Mexican city of Tijuana (border wall pictured) near California trying to seek asylum.

As more and more migrant caravans roll in, Tijuana’s mayor has turned to UN for help in dealing with the migrants.

According to The Post, top US officials discussed ‘Remain in Mexico’ plan with Mexican representatives last week in Houston to keep illegal migrants at bay.

The US practice of catching and releasing them only encouraged illegal border crossings. This prompted President Donald Trump to replace the ‘catch-and-release’ policy for migrants with ‘catch-and detain’ plan.

Trump has threatened to shut down the southern border of the US if necessary and to make illegal immigrants ineligible for asylum.