Film on Bataclan terror strike shelved after survivors protest

French public television has blocked a film about the terror strike at Bataclan Theatre (pictured) strike following complaints from survivors.

France 2 station said on Thursday that the film will not be released until all of the victims’ groups are consulted.

The main Bataclan victims’ group hailed the decision. Arthur Denouveaux, the head of the Life for Paris group, told AFP that although the group did not seek ban on the film, they are happy to note that modesty and restraint have prevailed.

The film ‘Ce soir-la’ (That Night), starring Sandrine Bonnaire, is a love story set on the night of 13 November 2015 when Paris was hit by a wave of terror attacks that left 130 people dead.

The release of ‘Ce soir-la’ has been shelved following a petition filed by

Claire Peltier, the partner of one the victims of the attack at the Eagles of Death Metal concert at the Bataclan. Some 90 people were killed by jihadist gunmen at the concert hall. Peltier called the film “scandalous” adding that it is too early for “such a painful” story to be revisited.

Respecting the sentiments of the petitioner, France 2 station said the project was being put on hold although filming had been completed earlier this month.

A signature drive to cancel the film’s release drew some 36,000 supporters on change.org in a month.

French police had taken seven suspects in custody for their role in the attacks on Bataclan, Paris bars and the Stade de France football stadium.

Salah Abdeslam, a Belgium-born French national of Moroccan descent, is the only survivor among the 10 who took part in the Paris carnage. He is still refusing to talk to investigators.