Driver convicted of killing 6 in 2017 Bourke St rampage

A driver who ploughed his car into pedestrians killing six in Bourke Street Mall, above, at the heart of Melbourne’s Central Business District early last year was found guilty by a Supreme Court jury on Tuesday.

James Gargasoulas, was convicted of six charges of murder and 27 charges of reckless conduct endangering life.

Minutes before the footpath horror in January, Gargasoulas, 28, ignored a detective’s text messages to surrender. Gargasoulas texted back that he was the saviour and Earth would be hit by a comet.

On Monday, Gargasoulas told the court of his premonition about hitting pedestrians, a comet crashing into Earth, Muslim freedom fighters, upholding God’s law and government oppression.

When Justice Mark Weinberg asked why he committed the crime, Gargasoulas said that is a question to ask God.

Weinberg said Gargasoulas’ psychosis and delusions during the rampage were drug-induced although he now suffered from mental health issues. Gargasoulas’ lawyers did not use this factor as a defence in his trial.

Weinberg remanded him in custody for a three-day hearing to start on January 29 before the sentencing.

Four days back, Bourke Street witnessed a terror attack when a knife-yielding Somali national killed one pedestrian and seriously injured three others before he was shot dead by police.