All terrorists killed after attack leaves 14 dead in Nairobi

All terrorists, who gunned down 14 people after besieging an upmarket hotel and office complex in Nairobi, have been killed, Kenya Broadcasting Corporation (KBC) said citing President Uhuru Kenyatta on Wednesday.

Five gunmen, including a suicide bomber, of the Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab stormed the complex housing the five-star Dusit D2 hotel and several offices on Tuesday afternoon.

After hours-long exchange of gunfire, security forces killed all the militants holed up on the seventh floor of the complex building on 14 Riverside drive.

According to KBC, police rescued some 700 people trapped in the complex.

The country is grieving the loss of 14 innocent lives, Kenyatta said, adding that the state will relentlessly pursue those behind this “heinous act” and bring them to justice.

He lauded the security teams for saving the lives of hundreds of guests and workers trapped inside the complex.

Some 30 people injured in the terrorist attack are being treated in various city hospitals.

Tuesday’s incidents unfolded around 2.52pm when militants forced their way into the complex in three vehicles ignoring the requests of the guards to stop. On seeing the armed visitors stepping out of the cars, the guards ran away.  

Before entering Dusit D2 hotel, the militants set off explosions by tossing a bomb into the car park and hurling a grenade at Secret Garden, one of a restaurants within the hotel complex.

One of the militants, a suicide bomber, blew himself up inside the restaurant as others made their way up by indiscriminately firing on guests and hotel staff.

The security forces have secured the complex and the situation is under control.

Tuesday’s attack comes exactly three years after Al-Shabaab militants attacked the Kenyan-run AMISOM army base in the town of El Adde in neighbouring Somalia killing more than 100 soldiers.

The attack happened a day after a court in Nairobi decided to summon three suspects linked to the terror strike on the Westgate Mall in 2013 which claimed 71 lives.